What are the six impossible things that I believe in?
1. That dance will become a globally accepted and respected art form for its beauty, complexity and cultural worth
2. That people will understand the theatrical and artistic intention of dance and the difference between movement as physical activity and movement (dance) as an art form
3. That all people will stop discriminating against those who dance
4. That males can dance without fear
5. That females can dance without being sexualised
6. That all people, everywhere, dance.
Why are these impossibilities at this moment in time?
I’m sure you don’t want to hear the word, but the main culprit is misogyny. Dance is female, and feminine, and therefore spurned by men. The material of dance is the body and the body is always at risk of being sexualised. Men feel threatened if their bodies are on display. Especially if the display threatens their concept of sexuality. Men threaten other men who dance with criticism, or worse. Dance is threatening to men, period.
The denigration of the art form of dance is accepted as part of western culture. My six impossibilities have no business being impossible. How do we free men from their fear?